Re: web db suggestions please

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 06:35:12PM +0100, richard wrote:
> Hi all.
>     I'm kinda having a go a developing an intranet at work and I need
> some opinions from any experts out there.
> We have a document register that is obviously used register any
> documents written, written in vb and
> accessing an Access db. Now I would like to move this to this intranet.
> At the moment our server is a
> 486 running debian 2.0. What I'd like to know is what would be the most
> favoured choice of front and back
> ends? I'm thinking cgi *should* be fairly decent for the front end but
> I've never done this before so I'm no
> expert. But I have absolutely no idea what db to use. I need something
> small and fast initially. Suggestions?

More than likely, one of the sql servers would do you well (haven't used
either mysql nor postgresql so I have no opinions on them). As for the CGI
language, I strongly suggest using php3 (and one of the matching
php3-pgsql or php3-mysql modules for extended language related to the two
above programs).

Ben