Re: Configuring a monitor (power downs)

Hello virtanen,

On 20-Aug-99, you wrote:

<snip>...

v> What is PSU?

PSU = Power Supply Unit.  Typically found in PCs in AT or ATX formats -
I think the main difference is in the MB power connector.  I know they
contain enough electronics to shut themselves down if they detect a
short across their power-out lines.

v> I think that I have to keep some break between booting again and
v> shutting down...

There are capacitors/condensors on the MB that will hold a charge, after
full power-down.  About 30 seconds is  usually enough for the charges
to drop to unusable levels.

v> But why didn't  it do it always... that power going down-behaviour?

and ok with M$ :-/  It really seems to point to Debian being
inconsistent.

v> I'll see, if it will start working now, after putting BIOS almost
v> back to 'default' settings. It seems to be the case that someone has
v> made his own settings before me. There might be some other settings
v> changed as well... I'll open the machine during next week. (to see if
v> there is even 'overclocked' cpu)
v>
v> But the problem is that it was working very well with windows...
v> And not consistetly with debian...
v>

Ironic :-/

Does your system still 'power-down' when you shut down W95?  If it does,
disable the W95 power management features from with W95 - probably via
the Control Panel - I can't say for sure as I don't have M$ at home :-)

v>
v> X works now, because of the new svga-server, which seems to be
v> capable for Mattrox cards.
v>

Good - well done.

v>