Re: VMware on debian: module compilation

Brian,

> Thanks for taking the time to let us know that you are listening.
You are welcome. That's what I like in companies with a Linux product:
they are far more aware of their customer's needs.

> I can only point you to documentation that explains the reasons for
> Debian's choice.  The first is probably the most concise and can be
> found in the the kernel-package package in
> /usr/lib/kernel-package/README.headers(it was also posted to
> debian-user on May 15, 1998 and can be found at
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9805/msg01174.html,
> the second is a more terse version and is in
> /usr/doc/libc6/FAQ.Debian.gz.
Thank you. My personal take on this is that these reasons were true
with libc5 and they are not true anymore with libc6. That's why it is
time to argue again. My /usr/include contains links to my kernel
headers, I upgrade my kernel often, and nothing breaks when I
compile. I think that the glibc headers do a far  better job to
isolate the kernel headers than the libc5 headers, and this is
probably due to the fact that glibc headers are very portable.

> Unfortunately the FHS does says that the kernel headers should be
> symlinked from /usr/include/{linux,asm}.
I would love to see Debian switch to what the FHS 2.0 recommends.

> primarily fueled by trying to build vmware modules.  The start of the
> thread is at
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9907/msg00117.html.
Thank you for this excellent pointer. As Ben Gertzfield, I do a lot of
kernel development, and it is really cool to have the symlinks. That's
why I didn't noticed the installation problem, btw.

Anyway, my point is not to have you guys modify the policy. My point
is to know what to do with vmware. I will probably modify the install
script so that it prompts the user for the location of the running
kernel headers.

Thanks for helping me in finding a solution that will benefit both
VMware and Debian,
Best regards,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne - Member of Technical Staff - VMWare, Inc.
        www              http://www.VMware.com/