Network Problems

I'm currently having problems with my network, and I'd like to know the
best way to go about diagnosing the problem.  Are there any utilities
that I can use to assist in this process?

The problem seems to be that whenever large amounts of information are
sent accross the lan to one machine (bristlenose) it freezes, but not
when the same info is passed across the network the other way.  An
example of this is:

I log into bristlenose from arowana and cat /vmlinuz and it works fine
(the terminal needs to be reset, but it works)
I log into arowana from bristlenose and cat /vmlinuz and it is jerky,
with the pauses becomming longer until it finally stops altogether,
halfway through.

This affects almost everythign I do on the net, as arowana currently
acts as my gateway, and bristlenose as the client, so sending mail works
fine, but retrieving it doesn't. (although retrieving it to arowana
works fine)

Any help solving this is greatly appreciated,
    Andrew Clark.

PS. I'm subscribed to the digest, so please CC me.
begin:vcard
n:Clark;Andrew
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.andrewclark.ddns.org/