C++ compiling problem

Okay, here's the situation.

I'm porting a large project to Linux.  Some of the libraries we have to
use were compiled with an older version of egcs (I'm pretty sure it was
1.0.3). So, they expect the libraries (specifically libstdc++) that come
with that version of egcs.  Okay, so I installed the older version of egcs
from Debian 2.0.  I installed it by hand so it wouldn't overwrite my
current version of everything.  I set different path names and all that.
Anyway, part of our code, which egcs 1.1.1 handles perfectly, causes a
compiler crash for 1.0.3.  Hmmmm.  So, here's what I propose to do:  I've
downloaded a copy of libstdc++2.8.0.  I am planning on compiling it using
the egcs 1.1.1 compiler.  Then I should have the new compiler with the old
set of libraries.

Does anyone see any major problems with this idea?

--
-bob

An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass
is half-empty.  An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it
needs to be.
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    368 Clyde Building, BYU       *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *        Provo, Utah  84602        *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (801) 378-2029       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (801) 378-4449         *