Re: Xterm

"Jens B. Jorgensen" wrote:

> Stavros wrote:
>
> > hi, i have two litle problems with xterm.
> > 1) $TERM=xterm-debian is set by default wich is causing me troubles
> > connecting via telnet to other machines.
>
> Right. Well, you'll just have to change this one. I don't like it either
> but it wasn't up to us. Some debian policy or other. You can change this (I
> believe) by editing /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm. There should be a line
> in there like:
>
> *.termName: xterm-debian
>
> So just change xterm-debian to xterm. Alternatively you could just modify
> your own .Xdefaults or .Xresources but if you're like me you'll want to
> change it system-wide.

Changes to files in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/ get wiped
out at your next upgrade because they are not designated as
conffiles.

I don't know if setting this in /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm (which
is a conffile) will override the setting in
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm or not, but it's worth a try
(otherwise could be a bug?)

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada