Re: Xterm

Stavros wrote:

> hi, i have two litle problems with xterm.
> 1) $TERM=xterm-debian is set by default wich is causing me troubles
> connecting via telnet to other machines.

Right. Well, you'll just have to change this one. I don't like it either but it wasn't
up to us. Some debian policy or other. You can change this (I believe) by editing
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm. There should be a line in there like:

*.termName: xterm-debian

So just change xterm-debian to xterm. Alternatively you could just modify your own
.Xdefaults or .Xresources but if you're like me you'll want to change it system-wide.

> 2) i dont know if it is a xterm or a bash problem but when i start a new
> xterm the ~/.bashrc isn't being read.

Highly improbable. bash should always read the .bashrc. On the other hand, it will
only read your .bash_profile if it is run as a "login shell". You can tell xterm to do
this by adding the -ls option on the command line or by adding an X resource of
loginShell setting it to true.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com