Re: DNA required for intranet?

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 05:31:48PM -0700, André Bell wrote:
| >> Apache tells me "httpd: cannot determine local host name. Use the
| >> ServerName directive to set it manually."
|
| While I'm at it, is it necessary to setup a DNS in order to give a server a
| name?  I've no intention of going online with this particular pc.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Andre'

  bind (DNS) is not required to run apache locally. Make your /etc/hosts
  look like:

  127.0.0.1   localhost  debian

  and make your /etc/host.conf look like:

  order hosts

  You might need to run apacheconfig again.  Then you should be able to
  access the server as http://localhost  or http://debian .

  If apache won't run, try changing the line

  ServerType inetd   to  ServerType standalone

  in /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
--

Eric G. Miller