Re: [Summary] UPS anyone?

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 01:57:01PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya
>
> I have a few dead UPS... ( bad battery )
>
> I changed the powersupply to be +24v-DC input instead of 110v-ac
>
> I use 2 car batteries...and pulled the 110vac... it stayed
> up for about 15 hrs..!!!! - with 1 IDE disk...-- just sitting
> there and running cron every 10 minutes to log how long it ran

That'll work, but you have to be careful.  The main problem with
lead-acid batteries is that they produce explosive gasses when they
charge.  Keep the area well ventilated.  It'll also tend to cause
corrosion on surrounding equipment.  It's much safer to use
gel-cells.

Mike
[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]
--
Michael Merten  <mikemerten@yahoo.com>
          ---> Debian GNU/Linux Fan -- http://www.debian.org