Re: [Summary] UPS anyone? - batteries

hi ya mike

> > I changed the powersupply to be +24v-DC input instead of 110v-ac
> >
> > I use 2 car batteries...and pulled the 110vac... it stayed
> > up for about 15 hrs..!!!! - with 1 IDE disk...-- just sitting
> > there and running cron every 10 minutes to log how long it ran
>
> That'll work, but you have to be careful.  The main problem with
> lead-acid batteries is that they produce explosive gasses when they
> charge.  Keep the area well ventilated.  It'll also tend to cause
> corrosion on surrounding equipment.  It's much safer to use
> gel-cells.

yes...except gelcell batteries are just as expensive as a whole
new UPS... and those things are only good for 10-20 minutes
or there abouts...

the experiment was: "How long is a car battery good for"
	- now the problem is how to keep the batteries properly charged
	- and yes...about ventelation and stuff...

	( batteries in an outdoor shed or a generator ?? ..hummm....)
	- for those that don't want a generator...what's their options ?

----

$ 30x2 car batteries + $40x2 battery charger == 15 hours of backup... not too bad...
	- plus $170 for a off-the-shelf 24v-dc input powersupply

have fun linuxing
alvin