Re: HP-T20 SCSI Tape

Hello Ryan,

On 17-Aug-99, you wrote:

RCS> I've installed a HP-T20 into one of my linux machines and it
RCS> doesn't seem to be working correctly.
RCS>
RCS> I can see in the /proc/scsi/scsi the following, which tells me that
RCS> the drive is loaded:
RCS>
RCS> Attached devices:
RCS> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
RCS>  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130D      Rev: DC1B
RCS>  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
RCS> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
RCS>  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130D      Rev: DC1B
RCS>  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
RCS> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
RCS>  Vendor: HP       Model: T20              Rev: 3.01
RCS>  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
RCS>
RCS> And when I create the block devices by running:
RCS>
RCS>              mknod -m 660 /dev/st0 c 9 0
RCS>              mknod -m 660 /dev/st1 c 9 1
RCS>              mknod -m 660 /dev/nst0 c 9 128
RCS>              mknod -m 660 /dev/nst1 c 9 129
RCS>
RCS>
RCS> It comes back with no problems.  But, when I run:
RCS>
RCS> # mt -f /dev/st0 status
RCS> mt: /dev/st0: Operation not supported by device
RCS>
RCS> I've also tried st1 and nst1 and nst0.  No luck.
RCS>
RCS> Or if I try to tar something to it, I get the same problem. Keep in
RCS> mind that this drive was added after the OS was installed, but
RCS> everything looks good. Kernel is 2.0.36 running on Debian 2.0.
RCS>
RCS> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RCS>
RCS>
RCS> Ryan C. Sumner
RCS> Director of Technology
RCS> LIS Consulting, LLC

I've no direct experience of SCSI tapes on linux but I re-installed a
couple of days ago (I'm a newbie trying to figure stuff out so it's a
scratch system) and I'm sure I saw a module that could be included that
was specifically for SCSI tapes.  I've got the impression from other
postings that it's, possible (and I would expect it to be so) to add
these modules without needing to re-install. I haven't got that far yet
so I can't help much further (assuming that this helps anyway).

Regards,

LeeE
--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk