HP-T20 SCSI Tape

I've installed a HP-T20 into one of my linux machines and it doesn't seem
to be working correctly.

I can see in the /proc/scsi/scsi the following, which tells me that the
drive is loaded:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130D      Rev: DC1B
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130D      Rev: DC1B
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: T20              Rev: 3.01
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

And when I create the block devices by running:

              mknod -m 660 /dev/st0 c 9 0
              mknod -m 660 /dev/st1 c 9 1
              mknod -m 660 /dev/nst0 c 9 128
              mknod -m 660 /dev/nst1 c 9 129

It comes back with no problems.  But, when I run:

# mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: Operation not supported by device

I've also tried st1 and nst1 and nst0.  No luck.

Or if I try to tar something to it, I get the same problem.  Keep in mind
that this drive was added after the OS was installed, but everything
looks good.  Kernel is 2.0.36 running on Debian 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan C. Sumner
Director of Technology
LIS Consulting, LLC