Re: confusing X problem

The only way I know to approach a problem like this is to get the system
to a known state, and then proceed with a step-by-step analysis to reduce
the number of variables, and isolate the problem. I would suggest
something like the following:

Verify whether the current version of stable does have support for your
card. If so, purge your current xserver pacakges, and reinstall them. Make
sure that the package dependencies are all met during the installation,
and that any packages that were not configured get configured (run dpkg
--pending --configure).

Gather together all the relevant docs, HOWTO's, man pages, etc. Now begin
the X configuration process. At each step, read the relevant portion of
the docs to verify that the correct data is entered, and that the system
gives the correct response. Assuming all goes well, run it.

Now observe what does or does not happen. Note the specific errors and
where in the process they occur. Go back to the docs and read the relevant
sections. As you attempt to resolve each error, again note what happens
and try to find out why. In this way, the the potential problem areas are
narrowed down and hopefully isolated. If not, it is much easier to ask
someone to help when the problem has been clarified.

If this sound like a lot of work, well, it is. But IMHO it is easier than
trying to solve a difficult problem intuitively. Taken a step at a time,
it comes together easier than it might seem.

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary