Re: update-alterntaives question by proxy

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 07:40:13AM -0700, Robert Jones wrote:

> This question was presented to me by someone else, and, as I couldn't find an
> appropriate answer, I pass it on the the list for futher enlightenment.
>
> What is the Right Way to increase the priority of one option for an alternative?

If what you want to do is override the priorities given by the package
the supported method is to overwrite the symlinks in /etc/alternatives
to point at the option you'd like to choose.  update-alternatives will
notice and won't touch the symlinks unless you tell it to go back into
automatic mode.  The proprities given are only defaults - you are free
to override them.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/