Kernel panic!

Hi, please CC replies to my email (my mailbox can't handle the traffic on this
list so I'm not subscribed, but I desperately need help.)

I'm trying to set up a server box with Debian... I needed to use kernel 2.2,
so I first plugged my HD into an existing Debian system and installed from
there to get the required versions of the packages. Everything seemed to work
-- I can even boot my new installation from LILO by adding the appropriate
entries in lilo.conf (on my other machine).

But once I moved the HD to the machine it's supposed to run on, it doesn't
boot properly. I used LILO to install the boot sector on /dev/hda and root set
to /dev/hda1, and the kernel seems to boot fine, but after detecting my
Ethernet card, it gives this error:

VFS: cannot open root device 03:01

What does this message mean?? The kernel booted from /dev/hda1 so why can't it
mount the root partition now? I've tried giving Linux the different
combinations of the "root=..." parameter but it doesn't seem to work.

Does it matter which version of LILO I use to install the boot sector??
This system is running kernel 2.2.10 (custom build) and most packages are from
potato. Due to some problems I had to use an older (slink) version of LILO --
will this screw it up? It seemed to be fine when I booted this same HD on my
other machine (with the LILO setup for the other machine, of course).

Also, if LILO is the cause of the problem, how would I run a glibc2.1 version
of LILO from a slink rescue disk??? I don't have a potato boot disk handy...

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!!