Re: xemacs at console won't suspend

*- On 16 Aug, David Teague wrote about "xemacs at console won't suspend"
> Hi Folks
>
> The subject says it all. xemacs, when invoked as xemacs at the
> console -- not in X -- refuses to suspend with a Control-z in a
> usable way. The keyboard driver continues to respond to keystrokes
> and echos them, but no keystroke kills what ever remains running
> after attempting to suspend xemacs. I can kill it from anther
> console.
>
> If I telnet into the machine, the behavior is what I want: xemacs
> suspends with Control-z exactly like emacs does. I can even telnet
> to local host and get the desired behavior.
>
> The necessity to remember this quirk when I move from other machines
> where emacs is installed is annoying. I really don't want to install
> emacs and xemacs, that would be a waste of disk space:)
>
> I've looked at the environment in each case, and don't see any
> difference that I understand to be significant.
>
> Would someone please tell me how to make xemacs running in text mode
> suspend as emacs always does and xemacs does when I'm connected to
> the machine via telnet?

This is a know bug with xemacs20-nomule and gpm.  The solutions are to
either recompile xemacs without gpm support, or stop gpm before
starting xemacs on the console.  See
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lxemacs20-nomule.html for the several
VERY OLD bugs on this subject.  I think someone had submitted a patch
but for some reason it has never been fixed.

--
Brian