xemacs at console won't suspend

Hi Folks

The subject says it all. xemacs, when invoked as xemacs at the
console -- not in X -- refuses to suspend with a Control-z in a
usable way. The keyboard driver continues to respond to keystrokes
and echos them, but no keystroke kills what ever remains running
after attempting to suspend xemacs. I can kill it from anther
console.

If I telnet into the machine, the behavior is what I want: xemacs
suspends with Control-z exactly like emacs does. I can even telnet
to local host and get the desired behavior.

The necessity to remember this quirk when I move from other machines
where emacs is installed is annoying. I really don't want to install
emacs and xemacs, that would be a waste of disk space:)

I've looked at the environment in each case, and don't see any
difference that I understand to be significant.

Would someone please tell me how to make xemacs running in text mode
suspend as emacs always does and xemacs does when I'm connected to
the machine via telnet?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)