No Mouse, No X Windows

I'm almost there... Almost running x windows... But x-windows drops out from initializing giving me an error indicating that there is no mouse. And sure enough the file it was looking for, /dev/mouse, is not there!  I've been looking for some way to create or install a mouse. I must be looking in the wrong places (HOWTO's aren't helping).  I just want to install a standard microsoft mouse.  I know this is easy, but I can't seem to find information on this, maybe makedev can do this? ARGH!!! Help...Please?!!

-WXB1