additional Netscape error symptoms - Xlib: unexpected async reply

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Sometimes Communicator will pop up an error message window so small that
the only thing visible is the window manager's frame around it.

When I expand the window, it has about a dozen copies the following
message:

   Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence xxx), Netscape:
   subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)

This is inevitably followed by another vanishingly small window, with
another bunch of the same type of message.

Communicator quickly proceeds to becoming unresponsive.  (I think
sometimes I can quit and get any changes (e.g., bookmarks) saved
before it jams up.)

Daniel