Problems with X

I've been fiddling with my XF86Config file to get the GLX module
working properly, and I've obviously broken something, somewhere.
I'm not sure if it's in the configuration file, but now X refuses
to blank, suspend or switch off my monitor at all, and xdm pays no
attention to its configuration files.

xdm currently displays black text (serifed font) on a white
background. The title is `X Window System' in italic and the
normal login/password prompts are there. My configuration files
(in /etc/X11/xdm) are configured to display white on black, in
arial, and for the title to be my hostname.

The xdm-errors file doesn't exist; the only error I can see in
/var/log/xdm.log is the last line:

[g200] mgaInitGLX completed
sh: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory

This path isn't in any of the configuration files.

I'm at my wits' end - I've tried reinstalling xdm and cleaning out
all the configuration files, deleting XF86Config and starting
again, and still these two problems persist. Has anyone got any
idea how to fix this?

TIA,
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                    alisdair@letdown.demon.co.uk
[if you see some guy spit on me knock him on the side of the head]