Re: read-only filesystems

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Mike Wood wrote:

> 	I'm building several kiosk style machines.  I would like to make
> most of the filesystem RO (except /tmp).  What pitfalls can I expect.  How
> can I make syslogd/klogd not start (chmod 000)?  Any information would be
> helpful.

I went down this route for a while before dropping this.  The /usr
partition can be mounted RO without problem.  /tmp, /var, /home must
be RW.

Unfortunately the root partition must also be RW mainly because
files in /dev have their permissions changed.  I've seen strategies
to use RAM drives to solve this problem.  The devfs is probably the
best way to solve this problem.

--
Jean Pierre