Re: Problems with fetchmail.. can anyone help?

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Colin McMillen wrote:

> I am trying to get my mail from a remote server rather than through
> Netscape Mail. I have the fetchmail package installed, but it can't seem
> to get mail from my server. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong?
> (The username and mail server are correct, by the way)...
>
> [shadow@shadow ~] fetchmail -u mcmi0037 mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> Enter password for mcmi0037@mcmi0037.email.umn.edu:
> fetchmail: No mail for mcmi0037 at mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> [shadow@shadow ~] fetchmail -u mcmi0037 mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> Enter password for mcmi0037@mcmi0037.email.umn.edu:
> fetchmail: No mail for mcmi0037 at mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> [shadow@shadow ~] fetchmail -u mcmi0037 mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> Enter password for mcmi0037@mcmi0037.email.umn.edu:
> 1 message for mcmi0037 at mcmi0037.email.umn.edu (645 octets).
> reading message 1 of 1 (638 header octets) fetchmail: SMTP listener
> doesn't like recipient address `shadow@localhost'
> fetchmail: can't even send to shadow!
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> mcmi0037.email.umn.edu
> fetchmail: Query status=10

I think a mail-transfer-agent (smail, sendmail or one of the others) needs
to be listening on port 25.  Try this and see if you get anything:

telnet localhost 25

For example, mine says:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 picard.internetcds.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3/Debian/GNU; Tue, 10
Aug 1999 13:55:05 -0700

then I have to to Ctrl ] to get out of it.

If yours does not connect, you probably need to install, configure or
start a mail transfer agent.

Hope this helps.