Re: quick simple latex question

* Shao Zhang <shao@linuxfreak.com> writes:

> Hi,
> 	There is no latex errors. The file.tex compiled fine.
> 	When I view it using gv, it still displays as portrait.
> 	If I use gv -landscape, it changes the page size and then
> 	rotates my document 90 degrees...

> 	If I lpr -Pprinter file.ps, it comes out in portrait.

> 	Thanks.

> Shao.

> Michael Stenner [mstenner@phy.duke.edu] wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:34:55PM +1000, Shao Zhang wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > 	I just cannot find out how to set the a4paper to landscape.
>> > 	I use:
>> >
>> > 	\usepackage{portland}
>> >
>> > 	\begin{document}
>> > 	\landscape
>> > 	\end{document}
>> >
>> > 	But it does not work....

You need to make the PS file to be in landscape format. From the dvips
man page:

       -t papertype
              This sets the paper type to papertype.  The  paper­
              type  should be defined in one of the configuration
              files, along with the appropriate  code  to  select
              it.   (Currently known types include letter, legal,
              ledger, a4, a3, ) You can  also  specify  -t  land­
              scape,  which rotates a document by 90 degrees.  To
              rotate a document whose size is not letter, you can
              use  the  -t  option twice, once for the page size,
              and once for landscape.  The upper left  corner  of

Furthermore, portland is from LaTeX2.09 (AFAIK) and therefore
obsolete. Use the lscape package (included in the standard graphics
bundle).

Depending on your needs (tables etc.), you could also try the rotating
package.

HTH,
  Colin

--