Printer Questions - HP OfficeJet 600

Hi all,

I haven't done a whole lot of research, but so far I haven't seen any
mention of one of my printers in any documentation for ghostscript or
gs-aladin (did I spell that right?) and was wondering if anyone simply has
one of these printers and has it up and running.  I've been to a couple of
very comprehensive sites that have databases on the web of configurations
that people have gotten working with Linux and various printers, and have
never seen this printer mentioned!

I have an HP OfficeJet 600, the printer with the built-in scanner and fax
machine, and while there's plenty of info out there on setting up the HP
*DeskJet* 600, I haven't seen much on the OfficeJet series.

Does anyone know if this printer is compatible with the magicfilter
printers for the DeskJet series, or another model, off-hand?

Any references to web sites or places where I can RTFM would be fine.  I
just thought I'd ask.

After I figure out what will make the printer work in Linux, there are a
couple of Windows machines that I'd love to be able to use this printer on
via Samba... but that's the *next* steep in this process.

After that, then I'll work on getting the scanner to work... I hear that
there are some ways to trick the system into thinking that these printers
with built-in scanners on the parallel port are actually SCSI devices,
similar to the early work-arounds for IDE CD-R drives.  Any confirmation,
encouragement, or references to docs on how to do this would be very
welcome, too!

(By the way, a good friend who works heavily in graphics consulting set up
his HP ScanJet this weekend with his Linux system vs. his NT box and did
some speed comparisons.  At the max resolution of the scanner, the Linux
box outperformed the NT drivers written by HP by a factor of SIX!  Wow!
I think he's pretty happy about it, too... that speed increase for the
work he does could certainly be considered an application of technology
that gives his business need a huge boost in productivity!)

Somehow I doubt the internal faxing functionality is going to be
supported... but if someone has any ideas on that one, point me to the
docs!  (:  I'll try to post something on the final configs of each step to
the list to get them into the archives, and also send anything I get
working into the databases mentioned above so others can benefit from what
I learn.

Always willing to read more...