howto raise priority(nice level) of lpd and filters

Hi all,

I would like to give my lpd daemon and the magicfilter filters and its
scripts higher priority when printing.  If my cpu is being heavily used
then my printer(HP 660C deskjet) is very slow.  During one slow print
session I tried giving the filter a nice level of -5 and the printer
started zipping right along.  So now I would like to give lpd, the
filters, and the various scripts a nice level that will give it some
priority.  Can I just nice lpd and its children will inherit the nice
level?  The info pages for nice don't give very man details.

Thanks,

--
Brian