Re: looking for a mail client

On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 11:53:29PM +0200, Peter Palfrader aka Weasel wrote:

> I'm looking for a mail client that has nested folders and good filters
> for moving incoming messages to dedicated folders (reply-to
> filter!). Another must is PGP support. SMTP and POP3 would be nice but
> are not a necessity.

mutt certainly does the PGP (see below).  Sorting messages into
folders is generally not the job of the mail client, but rather that of
something like procmail.  These filtering programs can do pretty much
any sorting or other automatic manipulation of mail you desire.  You can
probably do this filtering from within mutt too, but it's not the done
thing.  mutt doesn't do SMTP and the POP support is quite weak and would
bypass any filters written externally.

Another program to look at is Gnus.  It should support everything you
want, although PGP may be an add-on package.  Run it as "M-x gnus RET"
from within any Emacs.

> I've looked into mutt but it seems as if PGP support can only
> automatically verify messages that have a mime part
> application/pgp-signature. It cannot handle signatures that are (like
> this one) embedded in the mail text (please correct me if I'm
> wrong).

That's right, but the following procmail magic will perform the required
transformations to make it recognise messages like yours:

:0
{
        :0 fBw
        * ^-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
        * ^-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
        | formail \
            -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=encrypt"

        :0 fBw
        | formail \
            -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=sign"
}

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/