Re: PPP connection.

On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:13:35PM +1000, Bill Shui wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am using Debian 2.0 with pppd 2.3.8
>
> 	I use a dial up connection to my university ISP. I sometimes use either
> kppp or pppconfig.
>
> 	however, the problem was that everytime that I stayed idle for more
> than 60 mionutes, my isp cuts me off. This never occurred when I was
> using Red Hat (I could stay on as long as I want for weeks!!).
>
> 	So I thought probably it could be some "features" in Debian that I did
> not enble?
>
> 	or could anyone tell me if there's anyway to lock my ppp connection so
> that my isp does not kick me after 60 minutes of idle time?

You could set up a ping to some site which repeats every 59 minutes
(ping -i 3540 somehost.somedomain).  This would use minimal bandwidth.
You should also use the persist option in ppp, which will reconnect you
if you do get disconnected.

Some ISPs (like mine) have rules against running anything which is used
just to keep the connection up if you are not actively using it, so you
might run into a problem here.

Bob