Re: 56K internal modems

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

>     Hi all,

> here at Brazil is very difficult to find a 56K internal modem
> that is not Winmodem.
>     I want to buy an internal 56k modem (external are expensives)
> but cant find a model. Anyone with a real 56k internal modem can
> give me your specification of model & etc?

> Is there 56kbs USRobotics real modems? If so, what is the
> specification?

>     Thanks a lot,        Paulo Henrique

Paolo,

The only internal PCI modems that are not win-modems or worse that I
know about are made by MultiTech, and cost $50-$75 US more than Win
modems.

I usually buy an external modem. I lose a a serial port, but it is
worth it not to have to fight the Win modem problem.

Does anyone know if Linux has drivers for USB modems? Are any USB
devices made so that they are dependent on MS Windows?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)