Re: 56K internal modems

At 02:10 PM 8/7/99 , you wrote:
I have an internal 56k PCI Fax/Data modem made by USR that is not a
WinModem.  This was purchased about 10 months ago.  Looking at VA
Research's custom workstation page, an internal 3com (aka USR) 56k PCI
fax-modem is available as an option. So, you should be able to find one
if that's what you want.

I stand corrected. I didn't know that USR made PCI modems that were
not WinModems. When I bought my home system about 6 months ago,
the modem that came with this system was a USR 56k v.90 Fax/Voice
PCI modem, and it was a WinModem.

Admittedly it was my mistake for not checking at the time if Linux
supported WinModems, and I didn't check that the modem that was
being put in my system was a WinModem or not. After I got the system
I realized that I had a WinModem and that it wouldn't work under Linux.
A case of buyer beware!

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT interlog DOT com