Re: 56K internal modems

On 07-Aug-99 Salman Ahmed wrote:
> At 03:13 AM 8/7/99 , you wrote:
>>     Hi all,
>>     here at Brazil is very difficult to find a 56K internal modem that
>>is not Winmodem.
>>     I want to buy an internal 56k modem (external are expensives) but
>>cant find a model.
>>     Anyone with a real 56k internal modem can give me your specification
>>of model & etc?
>>     Is there 56kbs USRobotics real modems? If so, what is the
>>specification?
>>     Thanks a lot,        Paulo Henrique
>
> I use an Acer/AOpen 56K internal ISA modem :
>
>    Acer/AOpen FM56PVS-DL
>
> I jumpered it to COM2, IRQ3 and it works like a charm with both
> Windows and Linux.

I have basically the same modem (Acer/AOpen FM56 ITU or something like that).

Works awesome in Linux, never any problems.

Sometimes in windows I got the _____/^\______/^\_____ effect when downloading,
but that was most likely a Window 98 problem.

My old computer, an IBM Aptiva M50, has an Mwave card in it.  The card is a big
huge combo sound & modem.  I got that sound to work under linux, but the modem
part runs in software.  I got disconnected from the net when I played sound
files with the piece of garbage.

I get downloads upwards of 5kb/sec:
    5299      4      3      1      0  |      112      2      0      2      0
    5271      4      3      1      0  |      112      2      0      2      0
    5343      3      2      1      0  |      112      2      0      2      0
    5246      4      2      2      0  |      112      2      0      2      0
    5359      3      2      1      0  |       56      1      0      1      0
    5261      4      2      2      0  |      112      2      0      2      0

I really suggest it as well.  Here in Canada, I've seen it for less than $70.

 Wim Kerkhoff
 wim@netmaster.ca
 www.canadianhomes.net/wim
 ICQ: 23284586