Re: 56K internal modems

On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 04:13:05AM -0300, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>     Hi all,
>     here at Brazil is very difficult to find a 56K internal modem that
> is not Winmodem.
>     I want to buy an internal 56k modem (external are expensives) but
> cant find a model.
>     Anyone with a real 56k internal modem can give me your specification
> of model & etc?
>     Is there 56kbs USRobotics real modems? If so, what is the
> specification?
>     Thanks a lot,        Paulo Henrique

Hi,
There only two 56k PCI modems linux capable modems:

   To set the record straight, there are 56K PCI modems that support
   Linux. Examples are the MultiTech MT5634ZPX-PCI and the Actiontec
   PCI56012 and call-waiting models.  These use the Lucent Venus chipset
   and some PCI- adapting chips. They work with Linux and people are
   using them.

Actiontec is also know as IBM 33L4618.

You can find 56k internal modem between ISA models, see

  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/19990805a.html

Cheapest 56k (linux capable) modems are some Zoltrix models (but low
quality):

56,000 Hardware Modems

 Model #

     FM56e (Rainbow 56K)