Re: News Server Configuration

On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 01:05:47AM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> When I installed I didn't enter a news server when prompted to. I
> figured I'd be using Netscape to read news. I was wrong. I want
> to try slrn, but now it craps out because it's looking for a
> local news server.

From slrn(1):

       If no server is specified on the command line using the -h
       option, the server specified by the NNTPSERVER environment
       variable will be used.   The  -f  option  specifies  which
       newsrc  file  should  be  used.   If  none is specified, a
       default value of .jnewsrc will be used. This value can  be
       set on a server by server basis using the .slrnrc initial­
       ization file.

Putting the name of the server in /etc/nntpserver (/etc/news/server on
potato) should also work.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/