Re: stop bringing up X window when Linux booting

*- On  6 Aug, Matt Kopishke wrote about "Re: stop bringing up  X window when Linux booting"
> It's really pretty simple,
>
> just coment out the 'start-xdm' line in your /etc/X11/config
>
> You don't need to remove xdm, and I actuly would not recomend it, who
> knows you might want it someday...

This was true on Debian 2.0 and under.  With Debian 2.1 the setup for
xdm changed drastically and xdm was put in its own package. Thus it
assumes that if you have xdm installed you want it started, there is no
option to set to disable it at boot up. .  See
/usr/doc/xdm/README.Debian on a 2.1 or greater system.

>From above file:

Upgraders from Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 or earlier should be aware that the
/etc/X11/config file is no longer used; its xdm-specific options are now in
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options.

--
Brian