Re: [OT] How fast is a PIII?

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 12:27:25PM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 09:48:05AM +0200, E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:
> > The only difference between a PII and a PIII at the same clock speed
> > that I know of are the extra `SSE' instructions that are mainly useful
> > for 3D stuff and maybe some other floating point intensive software.
> IIRC, the 2nd level cache of the Pentium III is running at the same speed as
> the CPU, wheras the 2nd level cache of Pentium II's is running at half the
> CPU speed.

Actually, the P3 has the same speed L2 cache as the P2 (that is, half
the CPU speed). The Celeron-As and the Xeons are the ones with
full-speed L2 cache on them.

> This should give a performance difference (though not enough for me,
> compared to the price difference)

I haven't benchmarked them myselves, but I have heard that the P3 is
*slightly* slower at the same clock speed due to some changes made to
the core to enable the clock rate to climb later. (i.e. a 450MHz P2
might be slightly quicker than a 450MHz P3, but they can't build a
600MHz P2, but they can build a P3).

The above statement doesn't include the benefits you would receieve in
a application optimized for and using the new P3 SSE instructions,
obviously. Then there's quite a large difference in speed.

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz