Re: [OT] How fast is a PIII?

> I wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how fast is a PIII, say 500MHz?
> > How does it compare to PII or Celeron?
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,391810,00.html
>
> says it's only 8% faster than PII at same clock speed when
> running business apps on Windows.
> If anyone has Linux benchmarks, post 'em!

The only difference between a PII and a PIII at the same clock speed
that I know of are the extra `SSE' instructions that are mainly useful
for 3D stuff and maybe some other floating point intensive software.  As
far as I know, there are currently no compilers for linux that actually
use these instructions, so I would expect the difference is about 0%.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)