Re: slink problems

From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
> Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> > Many other suggestions have been made to solve the problem. It is not easy.
> > You have to find:
> >
> > - a good scheme (think of X11-only installers, without a tty),
> > - implement it (i.e. modify 3000 packages' {pre,post}{rm,inst}.

> Nonsense.  The solution is quite easy.  Modify the routine that
> handles the installers so it *also* looks for installers whose names
> start with 0 (the single digit 0).  If one is found, do not look for
> a name without a zero (to ensure that you don't find the same script
> twice).  Process the installers sorted by name and dependency.  At
> the same time (actually, before *or* after), instruct package
> creators to create a hard link to their installers ONLY if the
> installer will never ask questions.  Give that link the same name
> prepended by a zero.

Whats the point of adding a link? If the link is present, it gets
executed (i.e. the script is run), if its not present the script gets
also run. So the install script gets allways run, no matter wether it
asks questions or not.
> Actually, the right way to solve this problem is for Debian to adopt
> webmin (http://webmin.com), and say "installers do not ask

As far as I know webim is potentially comercial, as the com also
suggests. The licence I read said that it was free know but the author
wanted to make it comercial later. Also the system is not good enough
since it lacks several needed features. Also webmin only works over
the web with a browser. What about Systems wich lack the ability to
use a webbrowser and server or people that don't whant those?

> questions, period.  If you need configuration, write a webmin
> package."  But obviously that's a lot more work.

Some package MUST asks questions before being usable at all. The user
should have the choise of getting asked those questions right away, or
not get asked at all and then configure them later. But then he has to
be able to see which packages are unconfigured or have a broken
config. Also the amount of questions asked must be selectable.

Please read the threads and proposals in the mailinglist archive about
configuration tools and better ways to configure debian
systems. Currently several people including me are working on
something far better, more free and far more flexible than webmin.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin