Re: a quick scsi question

While thinking in terms of absorbing is probably not too bad an idea,
it is also misleading.  The terminating resistors do indeed absorb
energy (as does any shunting resistance).  The SCSI bus terminating
resistance is the same as the "Thin-net" coaxial cable ethernet
termination.

The "problem" is that when an electrical pulse is imposed upon a
"transmission line" (the wire that the bus is of), the pulse will
reflect (or bounce back) from the ends of the cable unless the cable
"appears" to be of infinite length (which is what the termination
does).

The reflected pulses themselves might "bounce" from the opposite
end if the cable is not terminated properly there either.  The problem
is that these reflected pulses arrive at various points along the cable
at times later than the original pulses (determined by the "travel time"
along the cable).  They can (and do) interfere with valid pulses present
at any point on the cable and of course there is no way for hardware
to determine which pulses are valid and which are reflected.

The matter is a bit more complex than this as the signal level at any
point along the cable is the algebraic sum of the instantaneous pulse
intensities of all of the pulses present at that instant (and the pulses
reflect either "in phase" (with respect to polarity) or "out of phase"
depending upon whether the termination impedance (resistance) is higher
or lower than the cable's impedance.