Re: a quick scsi question

Aaron Solochek wrote:

> This is not debian specific, but I figure someone on this list will know
> the answer.  Now I know you are supposed to terminate the end of each
> scsi chain, but whats the difference between any of the plugs on the
> chain?  its just a ribbon cable, so wouldn't it be ok if you terminate
> _any_ device on the chain, so long as you only terminate one?  I don't
> see how there is any electrical difference between the plugs.

As long as you terminate the last device on the chain as not to starve
other devices further down. It is generally practiced to have the
termination found at the end of the cable (either the cable or device
attached), but I don't see why you could not termintate in the middle.

Remember that the terminator is absorbing the signal so that it will not
bounce back on the cable to cause interferance. If you were to terminate
as such

SCSI card <----> Terminated Tape Drive <----> UnTerminated SCSI HD

The hard drive could not communicate with the SCSI card in your computer
as the Tape Drive would absorb the signal going both ways.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu

Where do all the bits go when the computer is done with them?