Re: X on Slink with RIVA TNT (Diamond V550)

*- On  5 Aug, Sean Fulmer wrote about "X on Slink with RIVA TNT (Diamond V550)"
> I am trying to get X up and running on slink with a Riva TNT display
> adapter, but I am not having much luck.  I know that the nVidia Xserver
> requires the unstable release of XFree86, but I'm new at this and I want
> to stay away from anything 'unstable'.  I am able to get X running with
> the standard VGA server, but at 640x480, 16 colors.. what's the point?
> :-(
>
> Can anyone suggest a configuration that will give me a minimum of 1024x768
> and 8bpp with slink?

A Debian developer has kindly put X 3.3.3.1 for slink at
http://netgod.net/x. If you are using apt add the following to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://netgod.net/ x/

Then update and install the newer svga server.  You can also drop in the
TNT SVGA server binary that nVidia released under
http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html.
You will need to get RIVA-X-GLX-1.0-glibc-i386-dyn.tar.gz. Although I
did not see a perceptible difference for everyday use.

--
Brian