Re: Mozilla vs. Communicator

> > (snip) as NS seems to enjoy a lot the ¨killing itself for nothing¨ business)?
>
> This may not be netscape's fault; there are indications that there may be a
> subtle compiler problem affecting X resulting in these crashes.

Hmmm... and do you have an idea of wheter the XFree team is working on it?
The strange thing is that this seems to affect ONLY Netscape...

> > Which libraries is it based on (is it still Motif/LessTif)?
>
> Gtk (the source still supports using Motif/LessTif as the GUI library, but
> Gtk is the default).

That's REALLY great news, as Motif/LessTif are both ugly and problematic
(I have SERIOUS problems to make the LessTif based apps use a good
color palette - and the palette seems to change from time to time,
according to its own will! ;-(

> > Bottom line, do YOU think it's worth trading my Communicator 4.61 for
> > Mozilla 19990716.M8-2?
>
> No. Mozilla looks promising, but still has quite a way to go to get at the
> stability level of netscape.
> You need not trade in though; mozilla and netscape coexist happily.

Hmmm... despite my lack of HD space, I'm thinking seriously in
giving it a chance... ;-)

[]'s

Guilherme Zahn