LILO on hdc (to be hda)

So I thought I know how to work with LILO. And I *thought* done
this many times before (years ago). But...

I want to prepare a harddisk (that should later become the root FS)
So I put it in my system (it was found as hdc), and mounted it
as /mnt

I put in the lilo.conf file:

  boot=/dev/hdc
  root=/dev/hda1

Then I run lilo as

  lilo -r /mnt -C /etc/lilo.conf

and everything goes OK (appart from LILO warning about
/dev/hdc not being on the first disk). But then, when I
re-wire the box, and put the disk on the first IDE slot
(so that it becomes hda), the booting shows '01' ("Illegal command",
indicates non-supported disks). Could it be that LILO
is trying to read the kernel from hdc now (hdc now
is not just non-supported disk, it is a non-existing disk).

The problem basically is that I want to be able
to specify three things:
 - root filesystem after Linux has booted
 - the device to write boot table to
 - the device for lilo to use at booting to read the kernels etc.
And I only have `root=' and `boot=' arguments to specify all
three.

Am I something missing (I suppose so, but I cannot find it in
the docs)

(Please, CC me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to debian-users)

Thanks!
--
joostje