2.2.x kernel and PCI eth0 problem

Hi,

I have configed and compiled both the 2.2.10 and 2.2.5 kernels, and my
ne2000 clone PCI ethernet card does not work with either.

With my 2.0.34 kernel, the card worked fine.  The module ne2k-pci loaded
without a hitch and dhcpcd configured the ip information flawlessly.  (
I use an ADSL connection which requires DHCP to be used to set up the IP
address.)

I have tried both kernels  with NE2000 support compiled in.  In this
case, the card appears to be recognized on startup, but DHCPCD does not
create new files when it runs.  DHCPCD does not report any errors
either.  ifconfig without arguments shows the loopback device.  Ifconfig
listing all devices lists the eth0 device and it looks ok, but none of
the IP information is configured.  Note that I have also used dhcpcd
eth0 to try and force dhcp to use the ethernet card.

If I configure the kernel to use loadable module support for the
ethernet card, then the module ne2k-pci won't load.  When using insmod
to try to load it, it will complain aboutn several symbols not being
resolved.  From their names they look like the ethernet card hooks in
the kernel.

After that lengthy description - I have a couple questions

Does anyone out there have a ne2000 PCI ethernet card working under a
2.2.x kernel?
If so, did you have to do anything wierd to get it to work?
I am not sure what is not working, because there have been so few error
messages.  Can anyone recommend some diagnostic tests?

TIA

Rupert Brooks