Re: debian vs redhat

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Steve Stancliff wrote:
> as sysadmin of that system, and due to the way the installation have been
> over-customized, I am going
> to reinstall them.
> am going to try and convince my boss that as long as we
> are reinstalling, we
> should switch to Debian.  I have my list of reasons for preferring Debian, but
> maybe there are some

I have been/going through a similar thing.
It would give you a much better understanding of the system if you have to
rebuild it yourself and chances are allow you to be able to fix any
system specific problems faster than if you had to learn exactly what was
going on on a system someone else installed.

> things I haven't thought of which you can mention.  I am particularly interested
> in hearing from those
> who have administered both dists.

The main thing is ease of system upgrades and changes through dselect and
apt-get. I allways found The Redhat package manager to be one big pain in
the neck and usually chose to compile from the sources myself but in
general I dont do that on my Debian systems which saves time (real and
computer).

Also RedHat has a habit of hiding what its doing when configuring things
which make customization excessivley time consuming whereas I have
found Debian to be much easier to customize/configure.

just my 2 cents worth

---Gareth