Re: SV: burning potatoe on cd's

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 04:55:55PM +0200, Anders.ohrt@Delphi.se wrote:

> > > dists/potato/contrib/binary-i386/, dists/potato/main/binary-i386/ and
> > > dists/potato/non-free/binary-i386/. Is this correct? What do I put
> where,
> > > since this won't fit om a single cd...?

> > Take a look at the slink CD production scripts to see how the split was
> > done for slink.

> Where's that?

The slink_cd package IIRC.  This should be documented on slink CDs or on
http://cdimage.debian.org/ (assuming I remember the URL correctly).  It
may even work for potato.

> > Providing you have enough disk space on the target
> > machine, the simplest thing to do will probably be to just partition the
> > archive randomly and then assemble it onto the hard disk when you want
> > to upgrade.

> I don't have enough to store the entire thing, but wouldn't it work just
> kicking in everything on cd's and then dselect would straighten the mess
> out?

You'd have to run dpkg-scanpackages over each CD to generate Packages
files.  The problem with this approach is that it doesn't do a good job
of handling dependancies - unless you correctly construct a multi-CD set
dselect is only going to know about one CD at a time, and even if you do
you might end up with lots of disk swapping if you don't split things
right.

Of course, since you probably don't need all potato so a simple way
around it would be to only make one CD containing those packages you
actually want.

> > If you want to help fix these problems, the boot floppies and CD teams
> > are the people to speak to.

> How do I get in touch with them?

There are mailing lists - look on the web pages.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/