sblive,'n debian, one more time...

I know that this is beating the hell out of a dead horse, but please
bear with me for one more sblive question...thanks.
I was running redhat 6.0 on a regular i386 with an sblive card.  when I
downloaded and the latest modules, they installed fine, not requireing a
reboot or anything.  then I switched to debain and tried to run the
install script again to re-install the sound drivers (after compiling
the proper kernel of course).  the script thought everything went
allright, but xmms (and mtv and anything else that wanted to use sound)
thought otherwise.
so, what happened?  some one told me that I might need to flash the card
on boot up, but redhat never did that between install and sound
playing...any thoughts?  thanks.
-peter