Re: Networking ~ peer to peer

John,

> Walter writes:
> > IP  address:  as in the laptop:  192.168.0.2   ?
>
> What do you mean by "as in the laptop"?

I am setting up a small home network, to a win98 ACER extensa
710T.  No hub, just 10 base T crossover cable.

I looked in control panel | network  and then looke at the
properties of the TCP/IP bound to the ethernet card, and saw the
IP address there.  Wayne has already mentioned that the Linux
machine will need a different IP address.

I notice that in the win98  setup each dial-up asks for the
server to set the IP address... so I can see how this would not
lead to a conflict... each machine has an IP address for
networking via ethernet, and another (asigned to it by the
server) when it is using ppp.  I will set up Linux ppp in the
same way.  Make sense?

> > Where is this leading me... I will now need to redo all this again later,
> > comments and tips appreciated.
>
> Actually, it looks pretty good.  Since you refused to set a gateway you
> will not have messed up ppp.

The program (bootstrap?) is very confusing there... it would lead
somone in my position to say no to networking, rather than no to
a gateway.

If I am seeing this clearly (big question mark), then it is worth
making some changes in that program (which is what this is all
about... probably it is already on a To do list somewhere?)

Walter
Walter Logeman  walter@psybernet.co.nz  http://www.psybernet.co.nz