Re: Networking ~ peer to peer

Martin, John, all

I had my first go at the installation last night... and among the
many things on my learning curve is the networking, inspite of
all the help!

> John> Walter writes:
> >> So will setting the network up conflict with setting up the dial up
> >> connection to the net?
>
> John> Only in that the network setup script will insist on making your
> John> LAN the default route.  After setting up the network edit
> John> /etc/init.d/network and remove the defaultroute option from the
> John> route command.
>
> [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
>
> So no, not unless you set a gateway.

I am still not clear... I said YES to networking even though it
warned me about PPP which I also want to install.

The resulting questions were not so easy, I opted for default as
suggested & when there were multiple choices I used intuition :)

Naming my machine was easy, I called it psy.  The domain name for
the network was harder... as the other one is a win98 laptop,
already networked to the windows disk in this machine... is there
an existing domain name that widows uses?  The "workgroup" name?

I just made up another name.

I have set it at psy.home.

IP  address:  as in the laptop:  192.168.0.2   ?

netmask:  I used the default   255.255.255.0   ?

Broadcast address: I took the first  of the three options... I
don't have them in front of me now.

Gateway: no

dns  - set none

Where is this leading me... I will now need to redo all this
again later, comments and tips appreciated.

Walter
Walter Logeman  walter@psybernet.co.nz  http://www.psybernet.co.nz