I cannot get my Debian 2.1 to run right ppp, samba apache

Hi team,
Hi team,
I installed linuxconf as per potato and now cannot use ppp.  I haven't yet
been able to set up samba to have my little home network running and I
cannot get apache configured.  I fluked lilo working correctly.  But I still
haven't got exim working ipmasq etcetra.  However I have no problem
compiling a kernel.  It took me ages to get my video (intel i740 agp)and
soundcard (essolo) working and I don't want to do the usual windows
thing and reinstall.  I eventually upgraded to xfree 3.3.3 but didn't want
too as there are probably problems I haven't seen yet. That I did so I
could get linuxconf 1.16r1.2 installed.   Before I installed linuxconf I had
apache working or at least not doing damage but after installing
linuxconf my computer hung.  As it did with samba. Plus my ppp was
dead as in will connect but won't do anything once there. For the life of
me I cannot get kppp to connect.  Xisp used to work absolutely
correctly until linuxconf as did wvdial.   I have no idea where to start. - I
uninstalled samba, apache, so I could boot.
But I guess ppp and my network would be good.  I cannot get my pci
ne2000 to load.  It is seen on boot then that is it.  My ppp will put me
online as xisp tells me my address but I can't connect with anything.
I could until yesterday.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Mike