startup question

I have a slink system, with 2.2.10, and until earlier today it was
running fine.  I rebooted the system to windows so a friend could play
some games, and of course windows froze twice.  Both times he missed
lilo and it booted into linux.  He ctrl-alt-deleted during the startup
stuff, and it ran the reboot script as usual, it seemed to be a clean
reboot.  However, when all this game playing was finished I went back to
linux, and it took FOREVER (around 20minutes) to boot to a login
prompt.  The two services that seem to be causing the delay are syslogd,
and lpd.  Both of those take an insane amount of time to start all of
the sudden.  This happened a few times, and finally I decided to do a -h
shutdown, and that seemed to solve this.  Why did this happen?

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu