Re: LILO problems with new HD

> > I've recently discovered problems with the drive that had the /boot and
> > /home partitions of my Debian box, so I decided to go out and get a new HD....
> > in transferring the files, I simply copied /boot/* and /home/* to the new
> > drive, and ran lilo on it.  It gave me the message that lilo was installed,
>
> Is that all you did?  What drive partition did you put /boot on?
>
> The info you supplied is insufficent for me to help you with.
> My crystal ball is cracked, sorry.

hehe, sorry, I post under the assumption that ppl's balls are in working
order ;-D.

/boot is hda1...there are three partitions on the drive, none of them
extended.  this is what I do @ the console:

**
silver168:~# lilo -v
LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/linux
Added Linux *
/boot/boot.0300 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.
**

I'm a little bit confused as to the difference between this command, and
'lilo -v -b /dev/hda1', which gives me the following:

**
silver168:~# lilo -v -b /dev/hda1
LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Ignoring entry 'boot'
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/linux
Added Linux *
/boot/boot.0301 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.
**

again, when I reboot, and take out the floppy (the way I've been booting
for a long time now seeing as my other HD gave me this same problem), I
get a "LIL-", which the docs say is a problem with the map file.

any help would be appreciated :)

-lev